From Freybes to Frieböse, Freibis, Frajbisz, and more
I have counted 95 different spelling variations of the Freibis surname, and that's not including obvious transcription errors such as Frieber or Freiberg. In order to simplify matters, I have chosen the most common or most recent variant for each family as the standard spelling. In my own family, the name is most often spelled Freibis and thus that is my default spelling.
Early lives of Johann and Franciska
Johann Gottlieb Freiboese was the son of Carl Gottlieb Freibis, a forester, and Constantia Ronke (Renka, Runke). He was born on 26 July 1797 in Barłomino (Barlomin) and was baptized a week later at Bolszewo (Bohlschau) Lutheran parish. He had at least one brother, Carl, who was two years older. He probably had other siblings but, due to missing parish records, we cannot know for sure.
|Johann Gottlieb Friebies 1797 baptism, Bohlschau Evangelical parish|
Franciska Słowy was the third of nine children born to laborer Anton Słowy and Catharina Milke (Mylka, Mielke). She was born on 23 December 1797 in Robakowo (Robbakau), a village not too far from Barłomino. Franciska was baptized on Christmas Eve at Luzino Catholic parish. Her mother died when she was 14 years old; her father married second wife Catharina Kunz within the year and they had four more children. Seven of Franciska's siblings died as babies or very young children.
|Francisca Słowik 1797 baptism, Luzino Catholic parish|
Johann Freibis was a day laborer. He was also something of a ladies' man who fathered two children before he was married—the first when he was just 17 years old. Johann's first son, Johann Bychowski, was born to Marianna Bychowska in Strzebielino on 23 December 1815 and was baptized at Luzino Catholic parish a few days later. Johann's second son, also named Johann, was born to his future wife Franciska Słowy on 21 May 1820 in Robakowo.
This map shows the parishes Bolszewo, Dzięcielec, Luzino, and Rozłazino and the villages Barłomino, Paraszyno, Robakowo, and Strzebielino.
View map here
View map here
Johann Freiboese and Franciska Słowy family
On 1 July 1822, Johann Freiboese married Franciska Słowy at Luzino Catholic parish. They were both 25 years old. Early in their marriage, they lived in Paraszyno, where their second and third sons were born. Johann's parents were probably also living in Paraszyno at that time. A few years later, Johann and Franciska moved to Robakowo, where Franciska's father lived.
|Joannes Freybys - Francisca Słowikowa 1822 marriage, Luzino|
Johann was a Protestant and Franciska was a Catholic; neither converted to the other's religion. When it came to baptizing their children, they alternated between Catholic and Protestant parishes—that is, until their youngest two sons were born. Each of their names appears in the baptism registers of two different parishes! Regardless of where they were baptized, though, all of Johann and Franciska's sons were Catholics.
Children of Johann Freiboese and Franciska Słowy:
- Johann Freibis (Freiboese) was born on 21 May 1820 in Robakowo and was baptized in Luzino Catholic parish.
- Jacob Freibis (Frieböse) was born about 1823 in Paraszyno and was probably baptized in Dzięcielec (Zinzelitz) Lutheran parish.
- Carl Friedrich Freibis was born on 10 June 1825 in Parasyno and was baptized in Rozłazino Catholic parish. He died on 10 January 1826 in Robakowo.
- Joseph Freibis was born on 18 November 1826 in Robakowo and was baptized in Bolszewo Lutheran parish.
- August Freibis (Frebes) was born on 28 August 1832 in Lusiner Mühle (just outside Luzino) and was baptized in Luzino Catholic parish.
- Franz Anton Freibis (Frank Frabis or Fraibis) was born on 20 August 1835 in Luzino and was baptized in both Luzino Catholic parish and Bolszewo Lutheran parish.
- Carl Friedrich Freibis (Charles Frebes) was born on 19 March 1838 in Luzino and was baptized in both Luzino Catholic parish and Bolszewo Lutheran parish.
|Francisca Freibuss née Słowy 1853 death record, Luzino|
Johann Freiboese died on 26 August 1850 in Robakowo at age 53. His wife Franciska died on 8 April 1853 in Robakowo at age 55. They were survived by five sons: Jacob, Joseph, August, Franz, and Carl.